Thursday 17 July 2014

Is it too easy a pun if I call this movie flaccid: Sex Tape

You can watch my youtube review HERE!

Going into this film I really had no expectations about it. I didn't find the trailer that amusing or that bad but I wasn't looking forward to it either, for two reasons:
1) Cameron Diaz; I don't find her funny or attractive and don't think she's that good of an actor.
2) I didn't like director Jake Kasdan's previous film Bad Teacher (also starring Diaz).
But in a way I was still optimistic and hoped that it could surprise me because the concept could be really fun in the right hands...unfortunately this movie wasn't.

It stars Jason Segel, Cameron Diaz, Rob Corddry, Ellie Kemper and Rob Lowe but unfortunately it wastes them (though they do make it bearable). Sex Tape follows a couple (Diaz and Segel) who must hunt down several ipads they gave away after they accidentally upload a sex tape they made onto their shared cloud. What happens next could have been a frantic and irreverent comedy as they go to many (illogical and pointless) extremes to accomplish their goal but instead of that we get a meandering film that squanders its adult rating by only using it to say several F bombs and fails to deliver any jokes that have an actual punch line.

This movie is meant to be a comedy right? But with every joke or gag it throws at you it does without set up or a delivery that packs a punch. It's like they don't want you to laugh. Unfortunately the cinema I was in had a row of teens behind me and they were constantly laughing at words like erection, sex and jokes that even I consider lame (and believe me when I say that I'm not that cool). The movie itself really doesn't have a plot; sure it has a plot starter but then you spend most of the time at Rob Lowe's house or with stale jokes and really lame gags. Another real problem is the amount of exposition in this film (especially since there isn't that much to explain) and this also weakens the jokes as the characters feel the need to explain them until they're no longer funny...(also Lincoln is only two and a half hours long not three...)

The thing is even though this movie is completely illogical, movies like it can still work; Bad Neighbours is a great example because you really have to suspend your disbelief for the plot but they're able to fill it with a lot of laughs, suspense and heart. Unfortunately this film lacks any real urgency (wouldn't you be running around like crazy to stop people from seeing your sex tape?) and that's what really brings this movie down. It's really lazily paced, causing it to meander and the prime antagonist of the movie (and it's not the incompetence the characters have when it comes to technology) is not set up at all and comes out of nowhere (not in a good way), adding no weight at all to the situation of this film.

With all that said and done, this isn't a terrible movie (it definitely isn't good but it's not terrible). It didn't frustrate me like Transformers or Maleficent but it's biggest crime is making me not feel any strong feelings, good or bad. It's only 90 minutes and goes by quickly, there are no real up or down feelings in your gut as the plot has no real drive (or at least it forgets about it) and it's just really bland, generic and mediocre. By next week I will have probably forgotten about this film and that is probably one of the worst things a movie can be...forgettable. Is that better or worse than being remembered for being bad?

1 1/2 out of 5 stars. Go watch Dawn of the Planet of the Apes if you haven't already...

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment