Monday 16 February 2015

Fantastic Mr: Foxcatcher


You can watch my youtube review HERE!!!

Sorry that there's been a bit of gap between my written reviews again, I've been a bit busy organising a video shoot which I just completed while also editing lots of videos for my youtube channel. If you do enjoy my reviews check out my youtube CHANNEL which is always up to date with reviews (unlike my written reviews) along with other videos I do.

Foxcatcher is the latest and third (fictional) film from American auteur Bennett Miller (Capote, Moneyball). The film is based of the harrowing true events between Mark and Dave Schultz and John Du Pont and stars Channing Tatum, Mark Ruffalo and Steve Carell with small roles from Sienna Miller, Anthony Michael Hall and Vanessa Redgrave. Now it has been about three or four weeks since I've seen the film so I hope I do it justice since it's not as fresh in my mind, that being said it has stayed with me for quite a bit of it.

Struggling financially, Olympic gold medallist Mark Schultz accepts an offer from John Du Pont to train at his estate to qualify for the next Olympic games; both men are trying to rise above the shadows of family members they find themselves under. Bennett Miller's film examines masculinity, the disillusionment of the American dream and the psychology of broken men, one who happens to be rather disturbing.

What stands out the most from Miller's film is the atmosphere; it's dark, cold, oppressive and unnerving. Bennett Miller directs the film with a gentle touch which makes every gut punch all the more powerful. With gorgeous cinematography from Australian cinematographer Greig Fraser who frames stunning compositions and a hauntingly atmospheric score from Rob Simonsen and West Dylan Thordson. But the power of this movie really comes from the actors and the three leads are absolutely fantastic though I'm still confused why Carell was nominated for best actor when he really is supporting and Tatum is the lead.

The actors are the core of this film. Channing Tatum is fantastically subdued (like most of the film) as Mark Schultz and though he is incredibly subtle you're able to see everything that is going on in his head and what a broken person he is underneath all that muscle. Carrel's role is a lot more showy than Tatum's hence more recognition and though it still deserves the praise I don't think Tatum should be overlooked the way he has been. Ruffalo is also brilliant, being the heart of the film you feel his absence when his not on screen and I'm sure that reflects the feeling of the characters too.

Foxcatcher is a film that washes over you and stays with you for hours. Though you see a lot happen there's a lot more implication and mystery than what is shown on screen and you're left trying to piece together what people in real life weren't even able to do. This film is strangely unnerving and a puzzle you want to solve but will never be able to; it's something that can't be made up but you'd never think could happen but it did and that's what makes it all the more frightening and chilling. If you don't know what happened if real life I'd recommend going into the movie without knowing as it'll be even more effecting than it already is.

4 out of 5 stars.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment