Monday 5 January 2015

Run Forrest, Run: '71.


You can watch my youtube review HERE!!!

I've been meaning to find the time to write this review for some time but have been rather busy. I saw this film in November but since the film doesn't have a theatrical release date until some time in 2015 it wasn't a priority but I've finally found the time to write it.

'71 is the directorial debut from Yann Demange, written by Scottish playwright Gregory Burke and boy is it a knock-out. It has screened at many festivals and has been added to Sundance's line up for this year. It stars up and comer Jack O'Connell who had one heck of a year in 2014 with Starred Up and Unbroken as well. Set in Northern Ireland during 'The Troubles' '71 follows a young British soldier who is separated from his troop and must survive the night while being hunted by the Provisional IRA.

Now the conflict between the Irish and British has always been something that has intrigued me but also constantly confused me. I'd try and research the subject but there was just so much that happened that I can barely ever scratch the surface. With that being said this film doesn't take any sides and instead gives us a very objective look at the situation as the soldier we follow has no political motivations or ties. The troop is a group of young soldiers who thought they would be fighting faraway overseas but were instead sent to Ireland to help keep things under control.

This film is mainly just a survival thriller about one man who must to do all he can to survive the night though the film is definitely filled with a lot of subtext regarding 'the troubles' but it is mostly under the surface. As a survival chase thriller it is superb; full of nail-biting tension, a fantastic performance from O'Connell, great handheld 16mm cinematography with great editing and it all comes together brilliantly.The film really embodies the hate and confusion of the environment at the time and it does it really well without being heavy-handed.

If there is anything negative I can say is that I don't really connect with it on an emotional level; it's a rather cold film and our lead rarely utters a word so you don't really know that much about him. There is a relationship with his son which is enough to root for his survival almost like the first Raid film. But in the end it is a really well made film that is fantastically thrilling and contains some of the best handheld action I've ever seen; it has a realistic energy and urgency that you don't see authentically enough.

4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was excellent but are the father and daughter still waiting ? That was unclear.I liked how the lead rarely spoke as it was as if you were looking through his shock and disorientation throughput.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I just remembered that part, I'm not too sure either haha. Jack O'Connell's facial expression was superb.

      Delete